Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Do You Follow Jesus???


Since stumbling onto this crazy thing known as blogging I have visited many sites where the blogger makes the statement declaring they follow Jesus. Some even go as far as saying they are Jesus Chasers. I think they got that idea from an old Tommy Tinney book called God Chasers, but that's not what this post is about. If you are one that says they are "following Jesus" or is a "follower of Jesus" or anything in that regards...Please help me out here because I am not sure what that means to "follow Jesus".


In what way are you following Jesus? Honestly, I am not at all sure what it looks like to "follow Jesus". So if you would, give me a heads up to what it means to be a "follower of Jesus",OK? Also, if you would be so kind, use scripture when demonstrating what it is to be a "Jesus Chaser", That would help me out greatly, and I thank you for your help!


Just for the fun of it, if you have another term or name I am overlooking, please let me know what it is so I can get up to speed in this lingo, OK? Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite is they gave "their life to Christ"
    And this came from a youth pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO I "think" most people who claim to try to follow Christ simply mean that they attempt to follow His example, to do what he said to do and to live as he lived. I personally have considered myself to be a follower in the since that I believe what the Bible says, I believe that Christ died for my sins. Now that I am saved by faith, I am a new creation. Because of the work God has done in me, I desire (mostly) what Jesus desired. Making me a copy cat, a follower.

    As far as Bible Verse's: a search for the word "follow" will give you plenty of examples of people being called followers. In "1 Cor 10:31-11:1" Paul claims he follows Christ and that by some effort on his part "Even as I please all men"

    please note that MY success or failure to follow Christ has no bearing on my eternal security.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is following Him a good thing. If we are following Him in His earthly ministry, we are following someone else's instructions. Jesus said go not into the way of the gentiles. Do you preach to gentiles? He said for eternal life you had to keep the commandments. Are you keeping them perfectly. We are told by Paul to follow him as he follows Christ. Paul is giving us instructions from the ascended Lord in heaven. It's still from Him, just given by Paul. Just as Moses spoke for God in the old testament, we have Paul to give us our instructions. You can follow Israel's law program or you can follow grace thorough the body of Christs' program. You can choose to follow Israel's orders but you won't be doing what God's doing today.

    ReplyDelete