Monday, March 23, 2009

I follow Jesus....really????


It seems many people these days are making that statement, "I follow Jesus" or "I am a follower of Jesus", even going over the rainbow to see Dorothy and Toto saying "I am a Jesus chaser", as if Jesus is running to and fro and requires you to chase Him around. How goofy is that?. Surely, there are more cliches' being propogated in the marketplace of ideas but the ones I mentioned are prominent in the modern church planting movement.

Doesn't it sound so noble to be someone that wants to do what they perceive as the right thing and follow the instruction of our savior Jesus Christ while He was here in bodily form on the earth? This same group of people will also tell you they follow the Lord's example or obey His instruction siting the Old Testament books of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Yes, I said Mathew Mark Luke and John are Old Testament, and that according to Hebrews 9:15-17 which declares that fact. Being a Bible believer is required to understand this truth and getting that correct will go a long way in your Bible understanding.

Let us now take a look at a few of the requirements to be a "Jesus follower" and ask yourself, "do I really follow Jesus"? Let's take a peek at what Jesus commanded His followers to obey, ready?....here we go!!!

In Mathew 5, the beginning of the "sermon on the mount", Jesus is giving His followers a to do list . He starts with the list of blessings "IF" they would perform correctly, then Jesus expounds the law program given to them (Israel) explaining if their righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. This could only be accomplished by keeping the 613 points of law. Do you keep all 613 points of law? The scribes and Pharisees were law keepers. How are you doing so far keeping the law? What would be greater then keeping the law to the jot and tittle? Jesus explains that by expanding it to include even thinking about a woman with lustful intentions as the same as committing the act. The same with anger being the same as murder and so on. Have you been to an "eye plucking" services lately? Didn't think so. How about hand removing revivals? Have you ever read Mathew 5? Let's say you haven't followed the Lord according to this passage so far, and I am positive you have not, here is your chance to redeem yourself. All you have to do is obey Mathew 5:42 by sending me a certified check for all you have in your bank account, also, let me borrow your car and I am not sure when and if I'll return it. Okay? Just send me an email and I will give you my mailing address.


Matthew 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.


Did Jesus say that? You know He did so what are you Jesus chasers waiting for? Got your attention yet? If not, let's look at another command Jesus gave to them that would follow Him in the same Old Testament book of Mathew.


Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

That must be His followers, right?

Matthew 23:2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

There are those pesky scribes and Pharisees again in which your righteousness must exceed.

Matthew 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.



So, who is seated in Moses' seat now? Do you have a Rabbi? Are you observing what who ever is seated in Moses' bids you to do? Wouldn't that be a requirement for a "Jesus chaser"? Didn't Jesus mean what He said?. Are you keeping the law to the letter and also as Jesus expounded it in Mathew 5? Are you still following Jesus? You know this list could go on for quite awhile don't you? Let's look at a couple more, then you decide if the label "Jesus follower" fits what you are doing. Jesus commanded His followers to go to some people and not to some other people, did you know that? Here are 12 men to whom Jesus said "follow me" and look at what He commanded them.



Matthew 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

Don't tell me you have disobeyed Jesus command by going to Gentiles. Didn't you know, you were only supposed to go to......

Matthew 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

What would Jesus do? Here are all these folks declaring themselves as "followers of Jesus" not following one point mentioned so far? I haven't even left the OT book of Mathew and have yet to find anyone that labels themselves as a "Jesus chaser" that is obeying these simple, easy to understand straight forward commands. What's up with that? O ye of little faith. speaking of which, let's see another passage.

Luke 12:22 And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.

This would be a good time to take the grocery list off the fridge or thinking about what and where you are going out to eat.

Luke 12:28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Are you in the "little faith" audience? If not, here is what you do. Pull all the blinds down in your house, strip down to your birthday suit, sit down at the dining room table and wait for God to clothe you and feed you. I am pretty sure it won't be long before you call Domino's since you probably have them on speed dial anyway. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Do you know what is even more ridiculous? Thinking these passages in any regard is directed toward you. Every single word in these verses are directed to one group of people, the nation Israel. Didn't God feed them manna in the wilderness? God will also feed them in the tribulation period as well as the Kingdom. Don't we have contrary instructions from the Apostle Paul admonishing us if we don't work, neither should we eat?

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Now what? If I'm to eat, I should work for it, or, should I not worry about it because God is going to feed me and clothe me? Should I be keeping the law as Jesus commanded His followers? Or is the law weak and beggarly as Paul says and by going back to the law would be going back under a curse? Does Jesus want me to follow Him or follow the one He sent?

John 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Did Jesus send someone else for us to follow?

1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Looks like we have a pattern to follow...Paul.

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

Apparently the instructions have changed , we are to follow Paul. Not only are we to follow Paul, we are to identify them that do so. Are you marked? Are you following Paul as he follows the instruction given him by the risen Lord Jesus Christ? The only acceptable way to follow Christ today would be to follow the one He sent...the Apostle to the Gentiles for this present dispensation of the Grace of God.......Paul!

Romans 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

Last one....aren't you glad? Let's see what Jesus told a young man who had a most important question.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Good question huh? How to obtain eternal life. I am certain Jesus said.."believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" or "By grace ye are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God." let's see......

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Opps, I was wrong wasn't I? What else was I wrong about?

Matthew 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Matthew 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

Are you getting the feeling that salvation is based upon my performance according to what Jesus told this fella? It doesn't end there, Jesus gave him MORE stuff to do.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Better call the Carolina Bargain Trader as well as the Daily Reflector and fill up the classifieds with all thou hast. Then and only then does Jesus say....come and follow me. Are you keeping the law? Are you going only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel? Have you sold are your goodies and gave it to the poor? Are you fooling yourself ascribing to the title of "Jesus follower"? Wouldn't it be a better thing to follow the instruction He has for us in the "but now" dispensation of the Grace of God?....think about it.

Hey, it took me a while to get my head around this stuff too. It took in your face messages like these to get my attention in order for me dig in and be fully persuaded in my own mind. It requires exactly what Paul calls "rightly dividing the word of truth" which requires study. It's worth the work and is approved unto God. Instead of labeling yourself as a "Jesus follower" or anything else, let's be the workman that needeth not to be ashamed!

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment